Tuesday, February 28, 2006

We want the Funk!

So I FINALLY got to see a George Clinton and the P-Funk All Stars show last night. It was at the 9:30 club and it was an incredible show. I've been trying to see him for years now and every time I either forget about the show or don't have anyone to go with. The latter was the case last night being a monday night and $40 tickets no one wanted to go with me. So I went by myself and still had a great time. The opening act was Children of Production which is actually a lyric from one of p-funks songs. The keyboardist and most of the singers came back to form the current All Stars. Not too many recognizable old folks except George (he must be like 70 now) and the guy that wheres the diaper, and YES he was wearing it last night too. He must be in his late 60's too. Regardless of age these guys still put on a hell of a show which I was surpised having seen a few older acts before (James Brown) and being sorely dissapointed.

They played all the regular tunes, We Want The Funk, Flashlight, Cosmic Slop, etc. The last song they played was Jerry Lee Lewis' Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On which turned into a whole 50's twist song medly sort of thing that was just rockin with the typical "the roofs is on fire we don't need to water let the motherfucker burn" chant ending the night 15 minutepast the monday night curfew. Of course it took me 15 minutes of waiting on the platform to realize that the trains had stopped running and ran up to the street to get a cab back home. Still made it into work on time too.

Oh and how could I forget in my last post about music two of what could be my favorite bands at the moment.
The bees (as they are known in the UK) or A Band of Bees (as they are known in the US).
Everyone that hears them says they sound old, as in like 60s 70s style rock. I've also heard the typical, these guys sound like the Beatles. Whatever they sound like its flat out good rock and roll. My favorite is this quirky song called Chicken Payback that makes me feel like I should be twisting away at a bon fire surrounded by surf boards stuck in the sand. Check them out.

Dungen
These guys are a Swedish band and when I say guys I should say guy. It's mostly this one guy his name escapes me now but also amazing retro rock/swedish folk sounding stuff. Very psychadelic sounding. The songs are so amazing I really don't even have a problem that I don't understand the swedish lyrics. Their latest is Ta Det Lungt (take it easy) and I recently got Stadsvandringar (thanks Val!) I highly suggest both albums.

Ok well my toothache is acting up again I'm going to numb it with some cold beer and see you all later.

Oops almost forgot to add that I am going to try and post some pics I took with my phone camera of the show once I figure out how too on this thing.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay! :)

hey i'm coming down next weekend. well to baltimore. i'll give you a call if i make it to dc!

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home